The purpose and scope of this policy statement
Technology Triumphs works with children and families as part of its activities. These include: stand alone workshops and regular tuition sessions.
The purpose of this policy statement is:
• to protect children and young people who receive Technology Triumph’s services. This includes the children of adults who use our services
• to provide parents, staff and volunteers with the overarching principles that guide our approach to child protection.
This policy statement applies to anyone working on behalf of Technology Triumphs including paid staff, volunteers, sessional workers, and students.
This policy has been drawn up on the basis of legislation, policy and guidance that seeks to protect children in England. A summary of the key legislation and guidance is available from nspcc.org.uk/childprotection.
We believe that:
• children and young people should never experience abuse of any kind
• we have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all children and young people, to keep them safe and to practise in a way that protects them.
We recognise that:
• the welfare of the child is paramount
• all children, regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation have a right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
• some children are additionally vulnerable because of the impact of previous experiences, their level of dependency, communication needs or other issues
• working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, carers and other agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare.
We will seek to keep children and young people safe by:
• valuing, listening to and respecting them
• appointing a nominated child protection/safeguarding lead.
• developing child protection and safeguarding policies and procedures which reflect best practice
• using our safeguarding procedures to share concerns and relevant information with agencies who need to know, and involving children, young people, parents, families and carers appropriately
• creating and maintaining an anti-bullying environment and ensuring that we have a policy and procedure to help us deal effectively with any bullying that does arise
• developing and implementing an effective online safety policy and related procedures
• recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
• providing effective management for staff and volunteers through supervision, support, training and quality assurance measures
• implementing a code of conduct for staff and volunteers
• using our procedures to manage any allegations against staff and volunteers appropriately
• ensuring that we have effective complaints and whistleblowing measures in place
• ensuring that we provide a safe physical environment for our children, young people, staff and volunteers, by applying health and safety measures in accordance with the law and regulatory guidance
• recording and storing information professionally and securely.
Related policies and procedures
This policy statement should be read alongside our organisational policies and procedures, including:
• Procedures for responding to concerns about a child or young person’s wellbeing
• Dealing with allegations of abuse against a child or young person
• Role of the designated safeguarding officer
• Managing allegations against staff and volunteers
• Safer recruitment policy and procedures
• Adult to child supervision ratios
• Code of conduct for staff and volunteers
• Anti-bullying policy and procedures
• Online safety policy and procedures for responding to concerns about online abuse
• Photography and image sharing guidance
• Child protection records retention and storage policy
• Whistleblowing policy
Nominated child protection lead
Name: Victoria Rothwell
Deputy child protection lead
0808 800 5000
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice annually.
This policy was last reviewed on: 10th March 2019
Contact the NSPCC’s Knowledge and Information Service with any questions about
child protection or related topics